Monday, August 8, 2011

Cross Training - Doctrine of Faith and the Holy Spirit

A certain harbor in Italy can be reached only by sailing up a narrow channel between dangerous rocks and shoals. Over the years, many ships have been wrecked, and navigation is hazardous.  To guide the ships safely into port, three lights have been mounted on three huge poles in the harbor. When the three lights are perfectly lined up and seen as one, the ship can safely proceed up the narrow channel. If the pilot sees two or three lights, he knows he’s off course and in danger.

Our study on the Holy Spirit follows the same principle in the life of a believer. The purpose of the Spirit is to give direction in this life in order to get us to God’s destination.  Notice, it's God's destination and not OURS, to fulfill God's purposes not OURS!  You might say that Spiritual Gifts are meant for service to edify Christ through the church.  I think that was Christ's primary lesson to the disciples in John 13.



1 Before the Passover celebration, Jesus knew that his hour had come to leave this world and return to his Father. He had loved his disciples during his ministry on earth, and now he loved them to the very end… 4 So he got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist, 5 and poured water into a basin. Then he began to wash the disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel he had around him - John 13:1, 4-5 (NLT) 


Don't you find it ironic that Jesus amazing example of service in John 13 would be supported later when Jesus spoke of the Holy Spirit coming as the Counselor that would assist the disciples in accomplishing the very same task - service.  


12 I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.
John 14:12 (NIV)


This makes me contemplate just how I have used my own gifts within my lifetime.  I wonder if my gifts have truly been used as an expression of Christ's activities through my service. 

No comments:

Post a Comment