Monday, June 6, 2011

Cross Training - Doctrines of Faith and the Son of God

Every once in a while my brain meets testosterone and it goes into the ozone of thinking. Please, keep your composure, because sometimes the things that come out of my brain are not necessarily worth repeating or sharing, but I like to think that my brain is at least making a valiant effort towards rational and intelligent thinking.

We are in the earliest stages of this topic, the "Doctrines of our Faith," and yesterday we dabbled with the idea of Christ's eternity. Not a topic that will be resolved overnight, I'm sure you understand that, however, one that we need to be aware of and work out with a bit of "fear and trembling." As I studied the topic of Christ's eternity a thought came to me that helped me put my mind around the importance of this topic - Christ's eternity sustains creation. My study was based on what John 1:1 states - "In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God" (NLT).

Their continues to be this mass of people who fight the idea of Christ's eternity. Many teach that Jesus was a "created" being like the angels, but on a higher level of authority. So I thought long and hard about importance of this topic. Here is what oozed out of my brain.

If Christ were not eternal then he becomes “created.” If he were “created” then he becomes a pawn no different than the angels, carrying out the tasks of God who has now become “one,” instead of “three-in-one.” Because God is now “one” there’s no longer a need for man to be made in His image which is the image of relational community because God ceases to be a community and therefore, humanities existence falls under a God who desires chess pieces instead of a creation to love and to be loved.

 Are you getting me here?  This idea of Christ's eternity really seems to mesh well with the idea that we are made for eternity as well.  I know this is far to short to truly explain the vastness of this topic, but it made me think, if Jesus Christ is truly who He claims to be, the eternal Son of God, one-in-nature with the Father and the Holy Spirit, and we are made in His image, then we are made for eternity as well.  We are not made to be chess pieces, though the Lord has the right as our Creator to do as He pleases, but we are made to exist as the Lord exists - eternally and in community with one another. 


Not sure I have explained myself real well here so help me out.  I would love to hear your thoughts, both positive and negative.



Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment