Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cross Training - Doctrine of Faith and Jesus Christ

This past week I ventured into territory I have never ventured before.  As a church we audibly spoke the United Brethren Confession of Faith in the worship service.  I had a Catholic man, who attends our church when he brings is elderly parents, approach me after service and ask if he could have a copy of that Confession.  He told me how much he appreciated hearing it because from within his Catholic community all he ever hears is that the Protestants have no, I think he used the word, "backbone."  

I love how the Confession begins - "WE BELIEVE..."  When I recite this portion of the Confession I see myself stomping my foot, just to let people know how important this doctrine is.  Our personal doctrine or confession of faith, is the front line of what we believe, or better yet, the battle-front of our faith.  I'm kind of ashamed of myself for not finding more ways in which to educate the church on the importance of this Confession.  

Doctrine, both personally and corporately, has been diluted.  I think a crucial turning point within the church came when she began to shift away from doctrine and move closer to the dogma of self-help and self-improvement.  Instead of examining what a proper concept of Christ is and how that concept flushes out into our thinking and walk, we have taken only pieces and sewn them in as patches.  I think doctrine introduces to us a completely new garment, one that doesn't want to just cover up what we deem to be a personal issue, but one that puts us under a different sort of examination.  

I wonder if proper doctrine isn't already the ultimate self-help.  A proper concept of our faith in Jesus Christ would naturally have a profound impact in our walk.  Jesus didn't just address the needs of creation spiritually, but also emotionally and physically.  Therefore, our understanding of the work and person of Christ should naturally have a "trickle-down" effect in our personal lives.  

 I share all this more as a question because I have been profoundly moved by this study of the doctrine of my faith.  It has made me believe that there is more to my relationship with Christ than what I KNOW about him.  

Love to hear from you,

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment