Monday, May 16, 2011

Cross Training - Doctrines of Faith

As we look at the various attributes of God, one that cannot be missed is the attribute of God's holiness.  Oswald Chambers stated it this way - “There is a danger of forgetting that the Bible reveals, not first the love of God, but the intense, blazing holiness of God, with his love as the center of that holiness.”  Growing up I found it amazingly difficult to not view God's holy expectation as judgmental regulation.  I always viewed God as the tempermental Father or school teacher waiting with a yardstick in hand to punish at the slightest hint of any regulation being broken.  

And then it hit me as I was preparing for this last Sunday's message what the holiness of God and His expectation of me was like.  I used the example of my wedding reception and the Father / Daughter dance.  I was so amazed at this portion of the reception because when the DJ invited my girls to come onto the dance floor to dance with me, they didn't just walk out, they sprinted out and for the next several minutes we danced and laughed together.  

That was the answer!!  God is not the angry school teacher waiting to punish, but the loving Father who invites his children to come dance with Him, step by step, moving gracefully across the floor as we rest in His motion and movement with absolute obedience and joy.  All He asks, is that we let Him lead.  I think the words that Jesus spoke to his disciples, are the same words the Father says to us as we dance together - "Follow me."  If you "follow me" I will show you how to dance.  

Can't wait to hear from you.



Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment