Thursday, April 28, 2011

Cross Training - Inward Disciplines of Confession

The Discipline of Confession is such a scary topic to discuss.  I mean, think about the true depth of confession.  Laying on the table all the junk of our lives.  I sit here and wonder to myself if there is a statute of limitations on confession.  Think about it, does there ever come a time when it's safe to confess.  Confession to God is easy because we can lift up our prayers and sins at anytime and suffer no immediate effects.  But what about loved ones, spouses, relatives? 

You see, when we confess our sins to the Lord we are given forgiveness.  Now, keep in mind that I believe there will still be consequences for our sin, but the consequences are often not as immediate or noticeable.  But when we face the decision to confess sin to a loved one, the consequences could be dire.  This is a quandary because there may be past un-confessed sin in your life that could potentially ruin a relationship.  So the question becomes, do we confess, or do we hide?  I have actually had to face this question myself when giving someone advice about revealing a portion of their life that might bring some sort of devastation to a loved one. 

Thus, the reason I write.  Tell me your thoughts on this subject.  When it comes to confessing our past when our confession could potentially ruin a loving relationship, do we confess, or do we hide?


Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment