Monday, March 7, 2011

Inward Disciplines - Solitude

My 3rd Grade teacher at Potterville Elementary School and I never saw "eye-to-eye."  I still remember her calling my parents in for a "special Parent/Teacher meeting."  Oh yeah!  You know what I'm talking about don't you.  It's the kind of meeting where you have to wait after school, after everyone else is gone, in a classroom with just you and your angry Teacher, until your parent can make it in.  Awkward!!  It seemed like an eternity of waiting.  I mean, really, what are you to do while you wait amidst the awkward silence - "Hey, Ms H., can I clean the chalkboard as an act of kindness because you are my favorite teacher even though you  called my parents in for a meeting because you hate me." Or better yet, "Hey, Mrs H., can I clean the chalkboard so I can smack the erasers together over your head and powder your face." 

After my mom showed up, I found out what my teacher's issue was with me.  She informed my mom and I that I was not a "good listener."  Strangely enough, she was correct.  I could place blame in many areas, but the reality of her statement actually rings very true today - I'm not a good listener.  The occupation of ministry tends to frown on individuals who are not good listeners, but that is not where I am going with this article.  I want to look at another kind of listening that calls us to the discipline of silence and solitude. 

Most of the disciplines target an activity such as, reading God's word, or praying or serving.  Solitude targets being quiet with a purpose and the purpose is developing the discipline of making Christ center-stage.

What I find to be most true about times of solitude is how the time of silence opens up a doorway for the Lord to address problem areas, specifically our attitudes.  I spoke on this Sunday and used the story of Elijah on Mt. Horeb in 1Kings 19.  I loved the question God asked Elijah following Elijah's 40-day trek to the mountain.  The Lord asked him a very pointed question - "What are you doing here Elijah?"  Now keep in mind, this is not the Lord asking a question out of ignorance.  He is asking Elijah a question examining a problem area.  What is so amazing to me was not that fact that the Lord spoke to Elijah, but how the Lord prepared Elijah to hear his voice.  40-days Elijah treked to Mt. Horeb.  I am sure in the quietness of his journey Elijah was being prepared to listen to the God of the "gentle whisper." 

Our lives are noisy aren't they?  Kids screaming, spouses talking and/or complaining, bosses directing, people in general demanding our time and ear to listen to them.  All of this monopolizes our time and ability to just chill.  You see, no one demands our time more then God.  He might be the Creator of the universe but he still demands uninterupted, one-on-one time with us, and he is not willing to scream above all the rest of the noise to get our attention, we have to make time.  That time is where the discipline of silence and solitude are spent just listening to hear the Lord's voice, to feel his gentle nudge, to read his word and meditate on it and let it soak into the deepest part of our soul.

This discipline might be the most difficult one yet for you.  It may even take longer then 28-days. 

Can't wait to hear from you.

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment