Monday, January 31, 2011

Cross Training - The Inward Discipline of Prayer Pt. 2

Allan Kraft in his book "Good News for Those Trying Harder" stated this about the Inward Disciplines.   

"Not long ago, I read that a person my age should drink 16 glasses of water a day. The next morning I brought to my office a large pitcher filled with water. Throughout the day that pitcher on my desk frequently reminded me of my need, and I'd pour another glass and drink. Overall, it was a positive experience—other than having to go to the bathroom 27 times in a period of eight hours. Remaining hydrated, I learned from that experience, requires intentionality. I had to stop periodically in the midst of my busyness, become aware of my body's need for liquid, and take a few moments to drink a glass of water. In a similar way, to drink deeply of Jesus is to build into our lives frequent moments in which we intentionally stop and become aware of his presence with us."

Becoming aware of Christ's presence within us is.  Hmmm!  That is an amazing concept.  Have you ever taken a moment and considered what that may look like.  Here is what I believe to happen when a person pursues the Inward Disciplines.  I believe they are stretched, I believe they are confronted with their own inward inability to follow a standard that, in our own mind, lies beyond our personal abilities.  So why pursue the disciplines?  G.K. Chesterton provides a simple answer - "Christianity has not so much been tried and found wanting, as it has been found difficult and left untried."  I'm not sure this is the only answer to the question, "why pursue the disciplines," but it comes close to explaining the importance of our faith being "tried."  

 The subject of prayer needs to be studied under the microscope of the disciplines.  Prayer is one of the disciplines I think we can take or leave based on God's past performances in our prayer pursuits.  If God adequately answered our prayers to our liking, then we find prayer to be easily pursued.  But God only gets so many chances and then we throw in the towel.  What we fail to understand is that prayer is not a "man-centered / God-shaping" discipline.  It is a "God-centered / man-shaping" discipline.  God is the object of focus, we are the chasers.  Christ never said to the disciples when he called them, "hey what you doing, can I try that?"  NO!!  What he said, in ever so simple terms was, "Follow me" and "take on my yoke." 

The discipline of prayer then becomes a "God-pursuit" instead of what we have made it out to be which is a means to throw all of our personal requests at Him.  Think of it this way, what would your closest relationship look like if all they did was make "REQUESTS" of you all day long.  I believe the Lord loves our requests, but what I think He loves even more is the discipline of character building that incorporates a one-way communication line, God to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment